tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Leo Donahue - OETX <LeoDona...@mail.maricopa.gov>
Subject Host appBase
Date Fri, 08 Nov 2013 17:18:17 GMT
Tomcat 7.0.47

Reading over the security benchmark I posted a link to earlier, there is one that suggests
to separate out the web content directory from the Tomcat system files.  Reading the Tomcat
docs for appBase, I see I can set this value.

Reading further down in the Tomcat docs for Host, other questions have spawned... and I blame
it on being Friday.

1.  When/Why would I change the xmlBase directory location?  For the same reasons I would
change the appBase directory?

2.  What is the benefit of un-packing WAR files?
	a.  If you drop a WAR file into your webapps directory (appBase I guess), and it unpacks,
should you leave the WAR file there or remove it?

3.  WAR files located outside of the Host's appBase will not be expanded...
	a.  Why would I deploy WAR files outside of the Host's appBase?
	b.  Where are those deployed?  By specifying the docBase?

4. What is the difference exactly between appBase and docBase?

If the Context is specified in server.xml, I can have an appBase and a docBase?  I know docBase
has to be set outside of the Host's appBase, but why would I have two locations for WAR files?