tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Bob DeRemer <>
Subject Can Tomcat 7 jsr-356 plumbing be configured to automatically send websocket ping/pong on a specified interval?
Date Mon, 04 Nov 2013 01:31:24 GMT
During our testing of large scale websocket connections going through Amazon ELB, we've found
that ELB will timeout idle TCP connections after 60 seconds.  Our testing scenarios is one
where we want to ramp up 10(s) of 1000s of websocket connections - then, after they are all
connected, start them sending request/response messages for some specified duration.

To avoid ELB closing our connection, we'd like to see if we can configure the tomcat plumbing
to automatically send ping(s) on some interval.  And, the follow-up question: if we can have
a ping being sent automatically, will the other end of the pipe respond with a pong?

Skype: bob.deremer.thingworx
O: 610.594.6200 x812
M: 717.881.3986