tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Daniel Mikusa <dmik...@gopivotal.com>
Subject Re: Second Instance of Tomcat
Date Thu, 07 Nov 2013 19:43:08 GMT
On Nov 7, 2013, at 2:08 PM, Crystal Maramba <cmaramba@acumenllc.com> wrote:

> Thanks, Dan. That helps a lot.

Please don't top post.  Reply inline or at the bottom.

> 2) a. I was referring to importing another certificate to the same .keystore that Instance1
is using.

A keystore file can contain multiple certificates.  You just need to specify which certificate
to use and that is done by specifying the "keyAlias" attribute on your connector.

> 3) The tomcat-users.xml file is used to store the user and password for the tomcat manager
which is used to deploy .war files.

Ignore what I previously wrote here.  You can store hashes of your password in tomcat-users.xml.
 To do this, you need to add the "digest" attribute on your Realm.  For the default configuration
that would look like this.

<Realm className="org.apache.catalina.realm.LockOutRealm">
               resourceName="UserDatabase" digest="SHA-256" />
      </Realm>

See here for more details.

  https://tomcat.apache.org/tomcat-7.0-doc/config/realm.html

Dan

port to bind it to a specific IP address by using "address="xx.xx.xx.xx"". Is there a way
to use the same Shutdown Port and AJP Port to bind it to a different IP address? Or do I have
to change the Shutdown and AJP port number.

> The shutdown address can be specified in Tomcat 7, not in Tomcat 6.
>
>   https://tomcat.apache.org/tomcat-7.0-doc/config/server.html
>
> All of the AJP connectors (Tomcat 6 & 7) support an "address" attribute.  See here.
>
>  https://tomcat.apache.org/tomcat-7.0-doc/config/ajp.html#Standard_Implementations
>

>> 2)     Keystore:
>>
>> a.       I am going to be using https, can I use the same .keystore to import the
certificate?

> Not exactly sure I follow you here.  Are you asking if you can configure the connector
for both instances of Tomcat to point to the same keystore file?  As far as I know, that's
OK.

>> b.       If I move the .keystore to another location outside of Tomcat home, will
Tomcat be able to see the .keystore if I specify the path within the server.xml file for .keystore
path?

> Yes.  See keystoreFile.
>
>  https://tomcat.apache.org/tomcat-6.0-doc/config/http.html#SSL_Support
>

>> c.       Should I create a new .keystore for the new instance?
>
> That's up to you.  Do whatever makes the most sense for your setup.
>

>> d.       What is the best practice for this?
>
> It's tough to say what is a "best practice", since most environments are different and
what makes the most sense for you likely depends on your unique environment.

> What I can say is that I often see SSL terminated in front of Tomcat with a dedicated
hardware device or Apache HTTPD.  It performs well, plus it makes sense in setups with multiple
Tomcat instances because there is already something in front of the Tomcat instances to load
balance across them.

> That doesn't mean you have to do that though.  You could terminate the SSL with Tomcat
and people do.  If you go this route, I'd suggest using the APR or NIO connector though.
The APR connector performs the best with SSL, but is a little trickier to setup.  The NIO
doesn't perform as good as the APR, but I believe it's better than the BIO connector and it's
easy to setup.

>> 3)     Does anyone know a way to encrypt the clear-text passwords specified in tom-user.xml
for the Tomcat manager and server.xml file for .keystore?

> I don't know of anything for the tomcat-users.xml file.  It's my understanding that this
file is not recommended for production use, so you should probably look at using a JDBC or
LDAP realm instead.

>  https://tomcat.apache.org/tomcat-7.0-doc/config/realm.html
>
> Another option would be to write a custom realm that decrypts the passwords.
>
> Having said that, I believe the general suggestion here is to apply proper unix permissions
on the files to control access to them.  For example, you should set the owner to be the user
that is running Tomcat, which should *not* be root and set the permission to r/w only for
the owner.