tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Milo Hyson <m...@cyberlifelabs.com>
Subject Re: Host appBase
Date Fri, 08 Nov 2013 18:54:07 GMT
The term that immediately comes to mind is YAGNI. How many of these things have legitimate
use-cases and how many are simply there because it was thought somebody somewhere someday
*might* want to adjust them?

- Milo Hyson
Chief Scientist
CyberLife Labs, Inc.

On Nov 8, 2013, at 9:18 AM, Leo Donahue - OETX <LeoDonahue@mail.maricopa.gov> wrote:

> Tomcat 7.0.47
>
> Reading over the security benchmark I posted a link to earlier, there is one that suggests
to separate out the web content directory from the Tomcat system files.  Reading the Tomcat
docs for appBase, I see I can set this value.

> Reading further down in the Tomcat docs for Host, other questions have spawned... and
I blame it on being Friday.

> 1.  When/Why would I change the xmlBase directory location?  For the same reasons I would
change the appBase directory?

> 2.  What is the benefit of un-packing WAR files?
> 	a.  If you drop a WAR file into your webapps directory (appBase I guess), and it unpacks,
should you leave the WAR file there or remove it?

> 3.  WAR files located outside of the Host's appBase will not be expanded...
> 	a.  Why would I deploy WAR files outside of the Host's appBase?
> 	b.  Where are those deployed?  By specifying the docBase?
>
> 4. What is the difference exactly between appBase and docBase?
>
> If the Context is specified in server.xml, I can have an appBase and a docBase?  I know
docBase has to be set outside of the Host's appBase, but why would I have two locations for
WAR files?