tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Steve Arch (sarch)" <sa...@cisco.com>
Subject RE: Different handling of -Dfoo="bar" between versions
Date Thu, 03 Oct 2013 14:49:09 GMT
AWS's tools pass the values to tomcat. I supply a set of key:value pairs and AWS (ElasticBeanstalk)
passes them to tomcat via the command line. I can find out how they are set with ps and it
shows that they are getting passed as:
  -Dfoo="bar"

The System.getProperty call was just to demonstrate how I can retrieve them. Something has
changed between version 24 and 37 in Tomcat when it parses the JVM options (-D). Mikolaj's
response says that the input was illegal anyway (quotes have to surround the whole string:
"-Dfoo=bar" or "-Dfoo=bar bar" rather than -Dfoo="bar bar").

As long as I know that -Dfoo="bar" is illegal syntax for passing options into the JVM/tomcat
then I can contact AWS and raise a bug with them. I just assumed it was something to do with
tomcat as that was the only thing that had changed.

-----Original Message-----
From: Caldarale, Charles R [mailto:Chuck.Caldarale@unisys.com]
Sent: Thursday, October 03, 2013 3:44 PM
To: Tomcat Users List
Subject: RE: Different handling of -Dfoo="bar" between versions

> From: Steve Arch (sarch) [mailto:sarch@cisco.com]
> Subject: Different handling of -Dfoo="bar" between versions

> I've noticed the following disparity between using two different
> versions of Tomcat when setting system properties using -D.

On the face of it, this is not related to Tomcat.

> If I pass in -Dfoo="bar" into Tomcat

Exactly how are you passing this to Tomcat?

> System.getProperty("foo")

The System class is part of the JRE, not Tomcat - Tomcat itself has absolutely nothing to
do with retrieval of system properties.  Whatever mechanism you're using to create the system
property may have changed (e.g., different versions of the JRE or the JSVC/procrun wrapper).

 - Chuck