tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Steve Arch (sarch)" <sa...@cisco.com>
Subject Different handling of -Dfoo="bar" between versions
Date Thu, 03 Oct 2013 14:21:33 GMT
I've noticed the following disparity between using two different versions of Tomcat when setting
system properties using -D.
If I pass in -Dfoo="bar" into Tomcat, and then look up the value of the 'foo' system property,
I get different results depending on which version of Tomcat I use.
Tomcat 7.0.37:
System.getProperty("foo") returns "bar" (with quotes)
Tomcat 7.0.27:
System.getProperty("foo") returns bar (without quotes)
What is the 'correct' behaviour of this and should a bug be raised?
For reference, I'm doing this on AWS Elasticbeanstalk, so it's using 64-bit architecture and
AWS's default distribution (which uses yum repositories though I don't know exactly which
distro it is based on). AWS sets the parameters automatically form me via a nice web UI so
I can't just pass in -Dfoo=bar as that is hidden from me.