tomcat-users mailing list archives

From André Warnier ...@ice-sa.com>
Subject Re: Servlet init method called multiple times
Date Tue, 22 Oct 2013 23:42:53 GMT
Richard Pierce wrote:
> The init()  method of all of my servlets is being called every 10 seconds or so. I verified
this by adding a System.out to the init() methods of my servlets. However, the server is not
restarting- just init gets recalled, even with no load on the box at all. I have no idea where
to begin debugging this, but it does appear to be affecting performance.

> The API states "The servlet container calls the init method exactly once after instantiating
the servlet."

> I added an instance and static variable to the servlet, to see whether the init method
was being called multiple times on the same instance or if new instances were being created.

> Initialized: 1 times (local), 28 total (static);   Thead=http-127.0.0.1-51443-1  Time:
Tue Oct 22 18:40:36 EDT 2013
> Initialized: 1 times (local), 29 total (static);   Thead=http-127.0.0.1-51443-1  Time:
Tue Oct 22 18:40:41 EDT 2013
> Initialized: 1 times (local), 30 total (static);   Thead=http-127.0.0.1-51443-1  Time:
Tue Oct 22 18:40:46 EDT 2013
> Initialized: 1 times (local), 31 total (static);   Thead=http-127.0.0.1-51443-1  Time:
Tue Oct 22 18:40:51 EDT 2013

> Obviously it is happening every 5 seconds, but WHAT is happening?
>

> Tomcat version: Apache Tomcat/6.0.35
> OS: Linux version 2.6.18-194.11.3.el5

Hi.
1) anything noteworthy mentioned in the Tomcat logs ?
2) can you paste your conf/server.xml here ? (confidential info removed)