tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Mark Eggers <its_toas...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: can't connect to manager application
Date Sat, 19 Oct 2013 15:51:43 GMT
On 10/19/2013 7:44 AM, Ognjen Blagojevic wrote:
> Edoardo,
>
> On 19.10.2013 0:03, Edoardo Panfili wrote:
>> 4- second modify to server.xml
>> <Host name="localhost"  appBase="webapps"
>> unpackWARs="true" autoDeploy="true">
>> becomes
>> <Host name="localhost"  appBase="webapps"
>> unpackWARs="true" autoDeploy="true" deployXML="false">
>
> It is great that you took effort to pin-point the source of the problem.
> Often users are not willing to do that.
>
> Now, deployXML=false instructs Tomcat to ignore context descriptors in
> directory webapps/, and to consider only those in directory conf/. That
> means that context descriptor webapps/manager/META-INF/context.xml is
> ignored, so manager application is not properly intialized.
>
> If you want to keep parameter deployXML set to false, I believe you need
> to copy webapps/manager/META-INF/context.xml to
> conf/Catalina/localhost/manager.xml.
>
> -Ognjen

Yep, reproducible on Windows 7.

Environment: Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit
              JRE 1.7.0_45 64 bit
              Tomcat 7.0.42 (stock, edited tomcat-users.xml)
              cygwin / curl

curl -u user:pass http://127.0.0.1:8080/manager/text/reload?
    path=examples

1. As is - works as expected
    This is good, since that's how NetBeans controls Tomcat

2. set deployXML="false" in host node
    reload examples fails (stack trace)
    probe also fails to run since it needs privileged="true"

3. copy context.xml to %CATALINA_BASE%\conf\Catalina\localhost
    manager context.xml --> manager.xml
    probe context.xml --> probe.xml

4. restart Tomcat
    reloads work as expected