tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Edoardo Panfili <edoa...@aspix.it>
Subject Re: can't connect to manager application
Date Fri, 18 Oct 2013 22:03:27 GMT
Il 17/10/13 18:45, Edoardo Panfili ha scritto:
> My Tomcat (7.0.42) is listening on port 7080 and I have this
> conf/tomcat-users.xml in (production server)
>
> -------
> <tomcat-users>
> <role rolename="manager-script"/>
>   <user username="myname" password="pwd"
> roles="manager-script,manager-gui,manager-jmx"/>
> </tomcat-users>
> ----------
> if I use
>
> curl -u myname:pwd
> http://localhost:7080/manager/text/reload?path=/myApplication
>
> the response is--------------------------
>     <h1>404 Not found</h1>
>      The page you tried to access
>      (/manager/text/reload)
>      does not exist.
>      The Manager application has been re-structured for Tomcat 7 onwards
> and some
>      of URLs have changed. All URLs used to access the Manager
> application should
>      now start with one of the following options:
>      <ul>
>        <li>/manager/html for the HTML GUI</li>
>        <li>/manager/text for the text interface</li>
>        <li>/manager/jmxproxy for the JMX proxy</li>
>        <li>/manager/status for the status pages</li>
>      </ul>
>      Note that the URL for the text interface has changed from
>      &quot;/manager&quot; to
>      &quot;/manager/text&quot;.
>      You probably need to adjust the URL you are using to access the
> Manager
>      application. However, there is always a chance you have found a bug
> in the
>      Manager application. If you are sure you have found a bug, and that
> the bug
>      has not already been reported, please report it to the Apache
> Tomcat team.

Installation step by step:

Unpack new download from tomcat.apache.org

1- set users
<tomcat-users>
   <user username="edoardo" password="pwd"
	roles="manager-script,manager-gui,manager-jmx,other"/>
</tomcat-users>

then reload tomcat
$curl -u edoardo:pwd
http://localhost:8080/manager/text/reload?path=/examples
OK - Reloaded application at context path /examples

2- copy myApplication from production server
copy configuration file ($tomcat/Catalina/localhost/myApplication.xml)
from production server
stop & start tomcat

$curl -u edoardo:pwd
http://localhost:8080/manager/text/reload?path=/myApplication
OK - Reloaded application at context path /myApplication

3- first modify to server.xml
shutdown tomcat
modify server.xml
<Connector port="8080" protocol="HTTP/1.1"
becomes
<Connector port="9080" protocol="HTTP/1.1"

start then curl again
all well

4- second modify to server.xml
<Host name="localhost"  appBase="webapps"
unpackWARs="true" autoDeploy="true">
becomes
<Host name="localhost"  appBase="webapps"
unpackWARs="true" autoDeploy="true" deployXML="false">

stop-start

$curl -u edoardo:pwd
http://localhost:9080/manager/text/reload?path=/myApplication
javax.servlet.ServletException: Error instantiating servlet class
org.apache.catalina.manager.ManagerServlet
[...]

$curl -u edoardo:pwd
http://localhost:9080/manager/text/reload?path=/myApplication
the same error reported in the initial post (above)

deployXML="false" is recommended at
http://tomcat.apache.org/tomcat-7.0-doc/config/host.html and useful for me.

Edoardo