tomcat-users mailing list archives

From André Warnier ...@ice-sa.com>
Subject Re: can't connect to manager application
Date Fri, 18 Oct 2013 17:17:55 GMT
Christopher Schultz wrote:

> André,
>
> On 10/18/13 12:48 PM, André Warnier wrote:
>> Christopher Schultz wrote:
>>>
>>> Edoardo,

> <init-param>

> <init-param>

>>> Neither jsvc nor jmx should have any effect on what you are
>>> seeing. I would like to confirm that, however. Let us know what
>>> you discover.
>>>
>>> The SecurityException is certainly going to be a problem. It's
>>> odd that you saw the SecurityException which should fail to
>>> deploy the Manager, yet you are seeing the Manager's
>>> 404-not-found page which would require the Manager to be
>>> deployed.
>>>
>> The logfile says :
>>
>> Informazioni: Marking servlet Manager as unavailable ott 18, 2013
>> 4:48:17 PM org.apache.catalina.core.StandardWrapperValve invoke
>> Grave: Allocate exception for servlet Manager
>> java.lang.SecurityException: Restricted (ContainerServlet) class
>> org.apache.catalina.manager.ManagerServlet
>>
>> So to my (admittedly untrained) eyes, it may look like the Manager
>> application (and its static pages) is deployed, but it is when
>> it's servlet is starting to run that the Java Security Manager
>> shoots it down.. It doesn't for that undeploy the whole app I
>> guess.
>
> Thanks for pointing that out; it makes much more sense given that
> explanation.

I think that there was a clue quite a few messages ago : some parameter in the Manager's
web.xml had a value that probably meant that it wasn't necesaarily initialised when Tomcat

starts up, only when it is first called.

That may also explain why the latest logfile did not show any problem.
It was probably copied before the first real call to the Manager happened.
Right now though, there is probably the same error message in the logs as before, because

Edoardo tried to call the Manager app, /after/ he sent us the startup logfile.