tomcat-users mailing list archives

From André Warnier ...@ice-sa.com>
Subject Re: HOWTO Same web application serving UI / SOAP ?
Date Wed, 09 Oct 2013 08:12:56 GMT
N.s.Karthik wrote:
> Hi
>
> Do any body have any Brain storming Ideas for the Following
>
> With single Web Application Installation
>
>     Use a Web application for Web based - Browser Interface.
>     Use the same Web application for exposing the SOAP based - Client
> Interface
>
>        URL should be same and no changes either of Browser / Soap .
>
>  *
>         Web : http://:8080/App/jsp/abcd.jsp
>         Soap : http://8080/App/services/abcd.wsdl
> *
> How to achieve the same ????

Your question is a bit confusing. You are asking for the same URL being used in both
cases, but you list 2 different ones above.

First, a webapp can consist of a collection of different servlets.

So a HTTP request to "http://myhost.com:8080/App/type1" and a request to
"http://myhost.com:8080/App/type2" could both be mapped to the webapp "App", but each to a

different servlet ("type1" or "type2") within that webapp.  That is just a matter of
mapping the calls properly in the WEB-INF/web.xml of the webapp "App".

Second, if you want a single URL like ""http://myhost.com:8080/App/xyz" to map to 2
different servlets, depending on whether this request comes from a certain type of client

(browser or SOAP client), then I suppose that some of the HTTP request headers will be
different in one case compared to the other.
In that case, you could add a "servlet filter" to your webapp "App", mapped to the URL
"/xyz", which would look at the HTTP request headers and depending on whether this looks
like a SOAP call or not, internally re-direct the request to the appropriate servlet
"type1" or "type2".
Have a look at the URLRewriteFilter for that.
http://tuckey.org/urlrewrite/