tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Daniel Mikusa <dmik...@gopivotal.com>
Subject Re: Tomcat 8 what happened to VirtualWebappLoader ?
Date Tue, 15 Oct 2013 13:21:29 GMT
On Oct 14, 2013, at 5:20 PM, Johan Compagner <jcompagner@servoy.com> wrote:

> thx,
>
> i already found it, through the changelog, i noticed that those where
> changed and where now all replaced by <Resources>
>
> Would be nice that there are some sample context.xml files in the final
> release so that people can see exactly what they could be using.

For what it's worth, here's an example:

<?xml version='1.0' encoding='utf-8'?>
<Context>
    <Resources>
        <PreResources className="org.apache.catalina.webresources.FileResourceSet" base="/app/files/special.txt"
webAppMount="/static/special. txt" />
        <PostResources className="org.apache.catalina.webresources.DirResourceSet" base="/app/files/static"
webAppMount="/static" />
    </Resources>
</Context>

Here's how I understand this...

The first tag exposes a single resource located locally at "/app/files/special.txt" on the
application relative path of "/static/special.txt".  The second tag exposes a directory located
locally at "/app/files/static" on the application relative path of "/static".

   Ex:

      http://<server>/<context>/static/special.txt  -> would return the file
"/app/files/special.txt".
      http://<server>/<context>/static/<some-file>  -> would return <some-file>
from "/app/files/static/".

The first tag is a PreResource so it would be selected before a file of the same name in "/app/files/static".
 It would also get selected before a resource of the same name exposed by the application
or a JAR file.  The second tag is a PostResource so it would only be checked if nothing else
(i.e. PreResources, the app or JAR files) provided the resource.

Dan