tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Hyve Info" <>
Subject RE: Please kindly give my wiki user access to edit wiki page
Date Wed, 16 Oct 2013 15:24:15 GMT
e.g. when I surf to this URL:

I get

"You are not allowed to edit this page."

Best regards,
Jon Lucas

t: 0800 612 2524

Reg No. 04239352 | VAT Reg No. 798820566 | Registered as Hyve Ltd. in England and Wales
This e-mail (including any files or attachments transmitted with it) is confidential and intended
solely for the use of the individual or entity to which it is addressed. It may contain confidential
and/or privileged information and any review, retransmission, dissemination or other use of,
or taking any action in reliance thereon, by persons or entities other than those for which
it is intended is prohibited. If you receive this information in error please delete the material
from any computer and contact the sender. All of our computers have virus-checking software
but we are unable to guarantee the safety of any of our e-mails due to the constant release
of new viruses. Therefore we cannot accept responsibility for any such viruses which may be
inadvertently sent to you in any of our e-mails. All prices exclude VAT unless otherwise stated.
Please consider the environment before printing this email. Thank you.

-----Original Message-----
From: Christopher Schultz []
Sent: 16 October 2013 15:33
To: Tomcat Users List
Subject: Re: Please kindly give my wiki user access to edit wiki page

> Yes I have created an account, my user is "Jon Lucas" We are a hosting
> company and have been hosting Tomcat applications in our data center
> for clients globally since 2001. We live and breathe Tomcat.

I've added you to the contributors group. Don't break anything ;)

On 10/16/13 9:41 AM, Hyve Info wrote:
>> 1. You offer Tomcat 5 hosting. Seriously? It's EOL.
> We still have clients using 5 yes.

Yikes. You really need to encourage them to move up. Are you responsible for security of the
servers? If so, you should be ...
unsettled by the use of Tomcat 5.

>> 2. You even support Java 6? It's EOL.
> We regularly have clients asking for Java 6.

I personally think it's entirely reasonable to support Java 6 but you should encourage your
customers to test with Java 7 and upgrade ASAP.
Again, there are potentially un-patched security vulnerabilities in there that will never
be fixed.

>> 3. 128 MiB JVM memory? Memory is cheap these days.

> We start our plans with 128MB memory which is suitable for clients
> requiring less memory on a tight budget but still requiring mission
> critical hosting, we can scale that up to 2GB.

Don't feel like you have to defend yourself: we ran for several years in production with a
64MiB heap and did just fine. On the other hand, you might want to consider offering bigger
heaps than 2GiB. These days with 64-bit JVMs, people are starting to expect insanely-large
heaps in certain cases.

> FYI - our web team are updating the site right now to offer Tomcat 8.

You might want to point-out that Tomcat 8 hasn't been released and is currently in ALPHA status.

- -chris
Version: GnuPG v1.4.14 (Darwin)
Comment: GPGTools -
Comment: Using GnuPG with Thunderbird -