tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Hyve Info" <i...@hyve.com>
Subject RE: Please kindly give my wiki user access to edit wiki page
Date Wed, 16 Oct 2013 15:24:15 GMT

inadvertently sent to you in any of our e-mails. All prices exclude VAT unless otherwise stated.
Please consider the environment before printing this email. Thank you.

-----Original Message-----
From: Christopher Schultz [mailto:chris@christopherschultz.net]
Sent: 16 October 2013 15:33
To: Tomcat Users List
Subject: Re: Please kindly give my wiki user access to edit wiki page

Jon,

> Yes I have created an account, my user is "Jon Lucas" We are a hosting
> company and have been hosting Tomcat applications in our data center
> for clients globally since 2001. We live and breathe Tomcat.

I've added you to the contributors group. Don't break anything ;)

On 10/16/13 9:41 AM, Hyve Info wrote:
>> 1. You offer Tomcat 5 hosting. Seriously? It's EOL.
> We still have clients using 5 yes.

Yikes. You really need to encourage them to move up. Are you responsible for security of the
servers? If so, you should be ...
unsettled by the use of Tomcat 5.

>> 2. You even support Java 6? It's EOL.
> We regularly have clients asking for Java 6.

I personally think it's entirely reasonable to support Java 6 but you should encourage your
customers to test with Java 7 and upgrade ASAP.
Again, there are potentially un-patched security vulnerabilities in there that will never
be fixed.

>> 3. 128 MiB JVM memory? Memory is cheap these days.

> We start our plans with 128MB memory which is suitable for clients
> requiring less memory on a tight budget but still requiring mission
> critical hosting, we can scale that up to 2GB.

Don't feel like you have to defend yourself: we ran for several years in production with a
64MiB heap and did just fine. On the other hand, you might want to consider offering bigger
heaps than 2GiB. These days with 64-bit JVMs, people are starting to expect insanely-large
heaps in certain cases.

> FYI - our web team are updating the site right now to offer Tomcat 8.

You might want to point-out that Tomcat 8 hasn't been released and is currently in ALPHA status.

- -chris