tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Markward Schubert <markward.schub...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: tomcat7w.exe
Date Wed, 04 Sep 2013 12:53:58 GMT
Christopher,

> On 9/2/13 12:22 PM, Markward Schubert wrote:
> > I have a short question. Does the monitor exe do anything "magical"
> > when a tomcat service is started the first time with it, in
> > contrast to starting the already installed service with the windows
> > service manager?
> >
> > In fact our application would not start until we start the service
> > from the monitor exe. Of course this is something in our app, but
> > there must be some external parameter, being "fixed" by running the
> > exe first.
> >
> > Monitor and servicemanagement both would be started "As
> > Administrator", but with different results.
> >
> > After the Monitor was run once, the box seems to be in a "working"
> > mode, so after that, we can uninstall the service and delete the
> > folder and do a reinstall and everything would work, even without
> > calling tomcat7w.exe. This also makes debugging for me a bit hard
> > at the moment, as the only windows server 2012 box I currently
> > have, is in "fixed" mode now.
>
> Consider installing guest-VM software such as VirtualBox, VMWare, etc.
> with a disk snapshot taken while you are in "broken mode". Then, you
> can play with the configuration, launching, etc. and roll-back at any
> time back into the broken state in order to try something else (or
> verify that your last effort was correct).
>
> I do this kind of thing all the time, and it is very effective.

Thanks a lot for the advice, also to you other folks!
I thought about using some vm-boxes, but we decided to not invest further
into this issue at the moment. If this happens again in some setup, I will
digg into the problem again and will report, if I have any new information
or a solution.

Regards,
Markward