tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Neven Cvetkovic <neven.cvetko...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: JVM options (where to configure)
Date Thu, 05 Sep 2013 22:03:56 GMT
On Thu, Sep 5, 2013 at 5:55 PM, John Beaulaurier -X (jbeaulau - ADVANCED
NETWORK INFORMATION INC at Cisco) <jbeaulau@cisco.com> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I would like to know where to place JVM HostSpot parameter flags in the
> Tomcat config files. I have read that
> a  file named setenv.sh should be created in CATALINA_HOME/bin, and there
> you place the configs, yet I've also read that
> you simply place them in catalina.sh. Which is the preferred? Also I've
> seen configurations with JAVA_OPS
> and CATALINA_OPS. Which is the preferred there?
>
> OS: RHEL 5.5
> Kernel: 2.6.18-194.8.1.el5
> Apache Tomcat: 7.0.39
> JDK: 1.6.0_45

Hey John,

My preferred way to use this is to create CATALINA_HOMEbin/setenv.sh (or
CATALINA_BASE/bin/setenv.sh if you have multi-instance setup) and add JVM
options to CATALINA_OPTS, rather than JAVA_OPTS.

JAVA_OPTS is going to be used for shutdown script as well, not just startup.
CATALINA_OPTS is going to be used for startup script only.

I prefer setenv.sh route, because it provides clear separation of the
product and configuration customizations. This is really handy when you do
upgrades!

Hope that helps!

Cheers
n.