tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Marcin DomaƄski <dom...@gmail.com>
Subject [Tomcat-7.0.42/JmxRemoteLifecycleListener] rmiBindAddress vs localhost
Date Wed, 11 Sep 2013 18:29:48 GMT
Hi there!
I am trying to setup a Tomcat instance using only specific address for all
communications. This is convenient for us from the point of IPsec. I was
able to succeed in http, https, ajp, etc. but for JMX I still cannot get it
right. For this example, let's assume, my desired address is 127.2.0.1.
Currently my configuration is as follows:

   - <Listener
   className="org.apache.catalina.mbeans.JmxRemoteLifecycleListener"
   rmiRegistryPortPlatform="9012" rmiServerPortPlatform="9013"
   useLocalPorts="true" />

Which allows to connect to the server at "service:jmx:rmi:///jndi/rmi://
127.2.0.1:9012/jmxrmi but also localhost (means I cannot run second
instance with different IP)

On the other hand,when I try following:

   - <Listener
   className="org.apache.catalina.mbeans.JmxRemoteLifecycleListener"
   rmiRegistryPortPlatform="9012" rmiServerPortPlatform="9013"
   useLocalPorts="true" rmiBindAddress="127.2.0.1"/>

 On Windows machine I get a network error basically saying there is no
server configured at localhost in JmxRemoteLifecycleListener:304.

Here's the code :
http://grepcode.com/file/repo1.maven.org/maven2/org.apache.tomcat/tomcat-catalina-jmx-remote/7.0.42/org/apache/catalina/mbeans/JmxRemoteLifecycleListener.java#304
According
to that it seems that both Tomcat RMI server and registry must be
accessible on localhost when using JmxRemoteLifecycleListener. Is it true?

Marcin