tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Bob DeRemer <bob.dere...@thingworx.com>
Subject solution - RE: how to access HTTP response from jsr-356 ServerEndpointConfig.Configurator.modifyHandshake?
Date Mon, 09 Sep 2013 20:46:23 GMT

After looking at the options available and going through the websocket protocol specification
again, I've found a better solution for authenticating using a JSR-356 implementation than
the original concept of using ServerEndpointConfig.Configurator.modifyHandshake.  The new
approach still uses custom Client and Server EndpointConfig/Configurator instances to pass
security information during the handshake, but instead of rejecting the handshake, it's cleaner
to grab the security information in the OnOpen (from the ServerEndpointConfig) of the actual
endpoint.  At this point, simply perform whatever AAA you wish - calling close with an appropriate
CloseReason if AAA fails.

With regard to DOS and opening websocket connections:

The websocket protocol already prohibits multiple clients from being in the connecting/handshake
phase at once, which already helps reduce the DOS surface area.  In addition, the client and/or
server side implementations can add additional logic to prohibit the number of concurrent
connections from the same client endpoint based on configuration.

And, yes, once I get it done and tested, I'll write this up.

-bob