tomcat-users mailing list archives

From André Warnier ...@ice-sa.com>
Subject Re: How tomcat is handling bandwidth sharing across all request
Date Wed, 11 Sep 2013 19:41:16 GMT
Arun Kumar wrote:
> Hi
>
>    We are developing small video hosting application ,we are not writing
> any special program for open the video file and send to player , simply we
> are using tomcat DefaultServlet for above all  video request , now we have
> to benchmark our application for following scenario
>
>       1) video size 100MB (1080i HD)
>       2) Total Network bandwidth 10Mbps (IN/OUT)
>

> Now how to calculate how many max thread is allowed for above scenario
> ,with out interrupting users viewing experience,  here each video response
> should secure 400kbps bandwidth for no interruption

400 Kb/s = (approx.) 0.4 Mb/s

So in the theoretical very best of cases, you could possibly serve 10 / 0.4 = 25 clients
at the same time.

But of course that will never happen, because there will always be something else using a

part of that bandwidth at any one time, or preventing some of the 25 threads to be serving

a video file.

So, realistically, count about 50% of that ?

>    So my question is how many concurrent users can view videos without
> interrupt then how to test this scenario ,and how tomcat is handling
> bandwidth sharing across the request

Tomcat is not doing anything in terms of sharing the bandwidth equally between threads.

Your best bet is to try this out in reality.  There are a number of client programs
available that allow you to test this and measure the result.
This one for instance : http://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.2/programs/ab.html
Install Apache httpd (any 2.x version), it comes with it free.