tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "James H. H. Lampert" <jam...@touchtonecorp.com>
Subject Re: Using a P7B certificate file
Date Tue, 10 Sep 2013 22:50:07 GMT
> "P7B" is otherwise known as a PKCS#7 file and usually contains a
> certificate. Does the file contain *only* a certificate, or does it
> also contain the key that was used to generate the CSR? If you have
> the cert but not the key, you won't be able to use it for serving HTTPS.
>
> Let's start with what you've actually got. You said you have a file.
> What's in the file?

Well, from what little I'd read, "A P7B file only contains certificates
and chain certificates, not the private key." (from
<https://www.sslshopper.com/ssl-converter.html>)

Is there a way it *can* contain the private key as well?

At any rate, it contains the typical unintelligible block of characters
between "BEGIN PKCS7" and "END PKCS7" marks, 98 lines of 64 characters
and a 99th line of 4 characters, approximately 6kb. I did a bit of
futzing around with it, found I could use "keychain access" on my Mac to
import it into an empty "keychain" file for inspection, and I found that
it it appears to contain a root certificate, an intermediate
certificate, and the signed SSL certificate. Looking at it with the
corresponding utility on my WinDoze box gives the same result. Unless
you know of something else that can inspect a P7B file, I'm guessing
that it's just a reply to a CSR, waiting to be installed in the
originating keystore.

--
JHHL