tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org>
Subject Re: JVM options (where to configure)
Date Thu, 05 Sep 2013 22:03:16 GMT
On 05/09/2013 22:55, John Beaulaurier -X (jbeaulau - ADVANCED NETWORK
INFORMATION INC at Cisco) wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I would like to know where to place JVM HostSpot parameter flags in the Tomcat config
files. I have read that
> a  file named setenv.sh should be created in CATALINA_HOME/bin, and there you place the
configs, yet I've also read that
> you simply place them in catalina.sh. Which is the preferred?

setenv.[sh|bat] as appropriate for your platform.

> Also I've seen configurations with JAVA_OPS
> and CATALINA_OPS. Which is the preferred there?

Generally, CATALINA_OPTS

When Tomcat is stopped, a second process is created that creates a
connection to the shutdown port of the main process and provides the
shutdown command.

CATALINA_OPTS applies only the main process
JAVA_OPTS applies to both

You are unlikely to want your memory settings (or any other settinsg for
that matter) for the main process to be applied to the shutdown process.
Therefore use CATALINA_OPTS.

The comments in catalina.[sh|bat] cover this.

Mark