tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Babu, Tinu" <Tinu.B...@amd.com>
Subject RE: JspTagException- Stream closed
Date Mon, 19 Aug 2013 06:59:55 GMT

Thank you Konstantin and Chris for your valuable comments.

No image IO operation has been performed by the thread. Basically what it does is, we have
a database view for admin user which is like a package tree. On click of each package will
show the contents of the package in the right panel. This works always. But when the user
clicks on packages  very fast, this Stream closed error is getting displayed in the GUI. Now
iIf the user click on the package again which has thrown the exception previously will show
the contents properly.   I don’t have the source for RowsetIterateTag and so not very sure
about the content of do EndTag or what it actually does.

I don’t think that any other exception is being thrown along with the Stream closed exception.

I am new to this server-client applications, so please correct me if I am wrong.

-----Original Message-----
From: Christopher Schultz [mailto:chris@christopherschultz.net]
Sent: Friday, August 16, 2013 8:15 PM
To: Tomcat Users List
Subject: Re: JspTagException- Stream closed

Konstantin,

On 8/16/13 4:25 AM, Konstantin Kolinko wrote:
> 2013/8/16 tinz <tinu.babu@amd.com>:
>> Hi, My application is working properly most of the times. But
>> sometimes I am getting the Stream closed error in a random fashion.
>> There is no specific way to reproduce the issue as well.
>> Sometimes it happens more frequently and sometimes not. I am
>> attaching the stack trace . It would be really great if someone can
>> help me in sorting this out.
>>
>> Error Detail: javax.servlet.jsp.JspTagException: Stream closed
>> javax.servlet.jsp.JspTagException: Stream closed at
>> oracle.jbo.html.jsp.datatags.RowsetIterateTag.doEndTag(RowsetIterateT
>> ag.java

:146)
>> at
>> org.apache.jsp.admin.user.userRole_jsp._jspx_meth_jbo_005fRowsetItera
>> te_005f

0(userRole_jsp.java:426)
>> at
>> org.apache.jsp.admin.user.userRole_jsp._jspService(userRole_jsp.java:
>> 254)

at
>> org.apache.jasper.runtime.HttpJspBase.service(HttpJspBase.java:70)

>> at
>> org.apache.jasper.servlet.JspServletWrapper.service(JspServletWrapper
>> .java:3

77)
>> at
>> org.apache.jasper.servlet.JspServlet.serviceJspFile(JspServlet.java:3
>> 13)

at org.apache.jasper.servlet.JspServlet.service(JspServlet.java:260)
>> at javax.servlet.http.HttpServlet.service(HttpServlet.java:853)
>> at
>> org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterChain.internalDoFilter(Appl
>> ication

FilterChain.java:290)
>> at
>> org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterChain.doFilter(ApplicationF
>> ilterCh

ain.java:206)
>> at techdoc.login.web.LoginFilter.doFilter(LoginFilter.java:112)
>> at
>> org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterChain.internalDoFilter(Appl
>> ication

FilterChain.java:235)
>> at
>> org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterChain.doFilter(ApplicationF
>> ilterCh

ain.java:206)
>> at
>> org.apache.catalina.core.StandardWrapperValve.invoke(StandardWrapperV
>> alve.ja

va:233)
>> at
>> org.apache.catalina.core.StandardContextValve.invoke(StandardContextV
>> alve.ja

va:191)

)

)
>> at
>> org.apache.catalina.core.StandardEngineValve.invoke(StandardEngineVal
>> ve.java

:109)
>> at
>> org.apache.catalina.connector.CoyoteAdapter.service(CoyoteAdapter.jav
>> a:298)

at
>> org.apache.jk.server.JkCoyoteHandler.invoke(JkCoyoteHandler.java:190)

at
>> org.apache.jk.common.HandlerRequest.invoke(HandlerRequest.java:291)

at org.apache.jk.common.ChannelSocket.invoke(ChannelSocket.java:769)
>> at
>> org.apache.jk.common.ChannelSocket.processConnection(ChannelSocket.ja
>> va:698)

at
>> org.apache.jk.common.ChannelSocket$SocketConnection.runIt(ChannelSock
>> et.java

:891)
>> at
>> org.apache.tomcat.util.threads.ThreadPool$ControlRunnable.run(ThreadP
>> ool.jav

a:690)

>> Thanks in advance, Tinz
>>

> I would guess: a) Client aborts connection
>
> b) Something else closes the stream. A known culprit is ImageIO
> http://wiki.apache.org/tomcat/FAQ/KnownIssues#ImageIOIssues
>
> I wonder whether "Stream closed" is a copy of message from an
> underlying IOException. (It would be better if the stack trace from
> that one were printed as well).

I would be surprised if this is an ImageIO problem -- that usually causes random(ish) IOException
errors after the fact. In this case, it's happening during the end-tag event of a JSP tag.
I suppose it's possible that the thread ran an ImageIO operation /and then/ ran a JSP after
the fact over the same stream, but that would be ... inadvisable.

I do agree with Konstantin that it would be great to find out if there was a "caused by" in
that exception's stack trace.

Any chance you have the source to Oracle's JBO tag library? It would be nice to find out what's
on RowsetIterateTag:146 (probably
out.write() or something fairly obvious).

- -chris