tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Daniel Mikusa <dmik...@gopivotal.com>
Subject Re: maxActiveConnections usage
Date Tue, 13 Aug 2013 12:24:30 GMT
On Aug 13, 2013, at 6:43 AM, "Smith, Mitchell" <mitchell.smith@cwc.com> wrote:

> Hi,

What version of Tomcat are you using?  6.0.x or 7.0.x?

> I was looking at using the maxActiveConnections in the application context,

Please include the relevant configuration from your server.xml or context.xml file.

> what I find is. When I reach the limit, as expected the server will not
> create a new session, however does return a http 200 status code.
>
> I am wondering would it be possible for me to change this behavior to
> return say a 300 range code to redirect to (in a production environment)
> load balancer.
>
> I can see some potential issues with this, like the possibility of an
> infinite loop, but for now I am just exploring possible ways to prevent my
> tomcat servers becoming overloaded.

How do you have your load balancer setup now?  What software / hardware are you using?  What
algorithm is it using to distribute the load?

> Does anyone have any thoughts or ideas for this type of solution?

Perhaps you need to adjust the load balancer so it's spreading out the connections more evenly?
 Perhaps you need to add another node to handle the load?

Dan

> Regards
> --
> *Mitchell Smith
> *
>
> The information contained in this email (and any attachments) is confidential and may
be privileged. If you are not the intended recipient
> and have received this email in error, please notify the sender immediately by reply
email and delete the message and any attachments.
> If you are not the named addressee, you must not copy, disclose, forward or otherwise
use the information contained in this email.
> Cable & Wireless Communications Plc and its affiliates reserve the right to monitor
all email communications through their networks to