tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Michael-O <1983-01...@gmx.net>
Subject Re: Apache Tomcat 8.0.0-RC1 release vote started
Date Fri, 02 Aug 2013 19:17:15 GMT
Am 2013-08-02 11:43, schrieb Mark Thomas:
> Michael-O <1983-01-06@gmx.net> wrote:
>> Am 2013-08-01 22:59, schrieb Mark Thomas:
>>> If you'd like early sight of Tomcat 8 and an opportunity to
>> contribute
>>> to Tomcat development, the release vote has now opened for the first
>>> Tomcat 8 release candidate.
>>>
>>> Features include:
>>> -[...]
>>> - Update to DBCP2 (now includes JMX monitoring)
>>                ^^^^^
>> Why if we do have the wonderful Tomcat JDBC Pool?
>
> 1. Choice (we ship both).
> 2. Features (DBCP covers more edge cases).
> 3. Maintainability. There is more chance of a DBCP fix at the moment. That should change
when Filip returns.
> 4. Performance they should be much closer but I suspect Tomcat JDBC will be faster (those
edge cases again).

According to Apache's JIRA DBCP2 is still in the works whereas Tomcat
JDBC Pool already works quite well. If so, I would favor the first
option and make Tomcat JDBC Pool the default. Anyway DBCP2 will be a
breaking change for DBCP 1.x users. Why not go the extra mile with
Tomcat JDBC Pool and use that.

>> Can't we get rid of that relic?
>
> We could but I would not support such a move.  (Relic? Hardly.)

I consinder it as a relic. Tomcat JDBC Pool's site even states that DBCP
was written in ancient times withou multithreading in mind. Pre Java 5
and so forth.

 From my point of view, I have achieved tremendous improvements in our
apps with Tomcat JDBC Pool and even found several bugs which would not
have been possible with DBCP.

Michael