tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Bob DeRemer <bob.dere...@thingworx.com>
Subject Is the current Tomcat 7 servlet websocket implementation being deprecated?
Date Tue, 06 Aug 2013 01:54:37 GMT
I've seen some mention on the user and dev mailing lists that the current servlet-based websocket
implementation will be deprecated due to the implementation of the JSR-356.  We are currently
implementing a Tomcat 7-based websocket server implementation that we hoped could scale up
to at least 50K concurrent connections [or more], but are concerned if there are any known
issues and/or limitations with the websocket implementation in Tomcat 7.

We are currently trying to test how high Tomcat 7 will scale with regards to the maximum number
of concurrent websocket connections, but have already hit some problems with only 200+ concurrent
connections.  Perhaps it's our multi-threaded client, or Tomcat configuration - not sure at
this point.  We have the Tomcat Connector configured with maxConnections=50000 and maxThreads=1000,
so 200 concurrent connections shouldn't be a problem.

If anyone could elaborate on the Tomcat 7 servlet websocket implementation stability from
a highly concurrent aspect that would be great.  Additionally, if anyone has achieved 10(s)
of 1000(s) of concurrent websocket connections with Tomcat 7, can you share how Tomcat was
configured, what OS it was running on, and what client library you used in testing this?

Thanks in advance,

Bob DeRemer
Senior Director, Architecture and Development

http://www.thingworx.com<http://www.thingworx.com/>
Skype: bob.deremer.thingworx
O: 610.594.6200 x812
M: 717.881.3986