tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Nick Williams <nicho...@nicholaswilliams.net>
Subject Re: Tomcat Websocket Implementation
Date Fri, 02 Aug 2013 17:45:24 GMT

On Aug 2, 2013, at 12:42 PM, Nick Williams wrote:

> On Aug 2, 2013, at 12:05 PM, Igor Urisman wrote:
>
>> Dear all,
>>
>> I'm looking into a solution that will make extensive use of websockets.
>> Details are unimportant, but here's the question that I'd like to have some
>> insight into.  The current implementation (official
>> example<http://svn.apache.org/viewvc/tomcat/tc7.0.x/trunk/webapps/examples/WEB-INF/classes/websocket/chat/ChatWebSocketServlet.java?revision=1354477&view=markup>)
>> seems independent of the JSR
>> 356<http://docs.oracle.com/javaee/7/tutorial/doc/websocket.htm>.
>> Is work underway to implement the javax.websocket.* objects, or is what's
>> in org.apache.catalina.websocket it for the enforceable future?
>
> Tomcat 8 has a completed (though not yet fully tested and vetted) implementation of JSR-356.
We're voting right now on the developer's mailing list whether to release Tomcat 8.0.0-RC1
alpha.

> Though Tomcat 8 is the only Tomcat that will support the Servlet, JSP, and EL specifications
included in Java EE 7 (they will not be back-ported to Tomcat 7), a decision was made a while
ago to deprecate the existing Tomcat 7 WebSocket implementation and back-port JSR-356 to Tomcat
7. This is the only Java EE 7 component that will be back-ported to Tomcat 7, AFAIK. I don't
personally know this will happen (I'm not one of the developers), but since the JSR-356 implementation
in Tomcat 8 is complete now, it shouldn't be too long.

**I don't personally know WHEN this will happen…

> If you want to play with the JSR-356 implementation for now, feel free to download and
use Tomcat 8 RC1 when it releases in (hopefully) the next few days. We encourage it, because
the more people who download it and try it out, the better our chances of chasing down and
fixing bugs now instead of after a general release.

You could also download the POTENTIAL release candidate that is being voted on right now (https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/tomcat/tomcat-8/v8.0.0-RC1/bin/),
but I can't guarantee that this is the actual release candidate that will come out.