tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Bob DeRemer <>
Subject Any concrete timeline for JSR-356 in Tomcat 7?
Date Wed, 07 Aug 2013 16:59:55 GMT
Hi Mark,

This is a follow-up to my previous question about the tomcat 7 servlet websocket deprecation:

We've discussed this internally and believe we need to look at switching to the JSR-based
server-side implementation.  How we approach this will be determined by when JSR-356 will
be ready.   Can you comment on the following:

1)      When do you expect to have JSR-356 released on Tomcat 7?

2)      How long do you anticipate the release cycle to be for Tomcat 8 - from the recent
initial alpha release until it's GA?

Our assumption is that JSR-356 will be ready in Tomcat 7 long before Tomcat 8 is GA.  The
critical factor for us will be WHEN that happens.  We're tentatively looking at a release
in October that will have websocket support.  As a result, if Tomcat 7 JSR support is ready
in September, we could begin work on Tomcat 8 RC1, then back-port our JSR server code to Tomcat
7 and release on time with the new implementation.  If, however, Tomcat 7 JSR support won't
be ready until October, then we'll have to plan on releasing with the existing Servlet implementation.

I understand dates constantly change based on priorities, but if you can provide any clarification
that would be great.