tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Leo Donahue - RDSA IT <LeoDona...@mail.maricopa.gov>
Subject RE: [OT] WEB-INF
Date Thu, 11 Jul 2013 15:03:02 GMT

Thanks Tim.  A lot of old reference books on servlets/JSP never really touched on this topic,
and I've read about placing resources in WEB-INF on the web somewhere since then.  I was curious
if this practice was originally by design or if the benefit was realized after the servlet
spec - such as someone deciding "hey, we should put stuff in WEB-INF".

>(Since it may be  common to have jsp's as snippets for header / footers etc -- and there
for
>they might be able to be called in surprising ways and exposing funny attacks)

You mention header/footers, which was in the back of my mind when I posted this.  Placing
headers/footers in WEB-INF doesn't allow me to re-use these in different webapps, without
having multiple copies of these?

If I have a header/footer template in \webapps\ROOT\WEB-INF\templates\, I can't reference
it from  \webapps\App2\WEB-INF\templates  ... or can I?