tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Majors, Jeremy" <jmaj...@tribune.com>
Subject Tomcat 7.0.27 on Mac OSX Lion - User Migration to New Version of Application Not Occuring
Date Tue, 02 Jul 2013 16:09:35 GMT
I'm testing out the parallel deployment process for my company and am seeing a difference in
how user migrations to the new version of the application occur based upon how you deploy
your application.  Our configuration involves many different web sites that all point to the
same folder.  Some example context configuration files are provided below to help illustrate
what I mean:

Website1.xml
<Context reloadable="true" crossContext="true" sessionCookiePath="/" docBase="/Users/jeremy/tomcat/manualDeploy/myapp"></Context>

Website2.xml
<Context reloadable="true" crossContext="true" sessionCookiePath="/" docBase="/Users/jeremy/tomcat/manualDeploy/myapp"></Context>

Website3.xml
<Context reloadable="true" crossContext="true" sessionCookiePath="/" docBase="/Users/jeremy/tomcat/manualDeploy/myapp"></Context>

Yesterday some individuals from this mailing list helped me understand that if I create a
new context file with ##001 appended at the end then that will allow me to deploy a new version
of the application.  For example:

Website1##002.xml
<Context reloadable="true" crossContext="true" sessionCookiePath="/" docBase="/Users/jeremy/tomcat/manualDeploy/myapp-v2"></Context>

When I run Jmeter requests consistently against website1 and then deploy the new version of
the web site (website1##002) I do not see any active sessions for website##002 in tomcat manager
even after website1##002 is fully loaded.  Please note that if I open up a new safari browser
window and access website1#002 then I do see an active session.

What is confusing me at this point is that if I deploy a WAR using the auto deployment method
(copying the myapp.war into the webapps folder) and then deploy a new version using the same
mechanism (myapp##002.war) then I do see the users automatically migrated to the new version
when running my Jmeter tests.  Please note that this behavior (immediate migration) is what
we desire.

In addition to the fact that when the migration of users occurs is different, I am also seeing
a huge discrepancy between the number of sessions that tomcat manager says are currently active
when I deploy using the folder approach vs. the automatic deployment approach.  When using
the folder approach the number of sessions always matches the number of users (via a thread
group) in Jmeter.  However, when I use the automatic deployment process the number of sessions
continues to grow as I allow Jmeter to run longer (at one point I had thousands of sessions).

Can anyone explain why I'm seeing a difference in the behavior between the two deployment
mechanisms and if so, how would I mimic what is happening in regards to the automatic migration
of users to new versions while using the folder deployment approach.

Thank you very much for your assistance,
Jeremy