tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Caldarale, Charles R" <>
Subject RE: Moving Tomcat to work externally.
Date Thu, 11 Jul 2013 22:06:50 GMT
> From: john Matlock []
> Subject: Re: Moving Tomcat to work externally.

> > Remove the ROOT directory from Tomcat's webapps directory, replacing it
> > with your webapp renamed to ROOT.war (or, if it's already an expanded .war
> > file, put it in the ROOT directory under webapps).

> Do I understand that you are telling me to put the whole web application
> into the webapps/ROOT directory?

That's what the ROOT webapp is for - it's the default webapp.  If the application is packaged
as a .war file, just copy it to webapps/ROOT.war, and delete the existing ROOT directory.
> That's a couple of hundred pages and several sub-directories just for the
> main application.

Why is that relevant?

> And I have to move another half dozen applications to Tomcat as well.

If your applications are organized properly, that is each in their own subdirectory under
a common directory, with nothing but the webapps under the common directory, then just change
the appBase attribute in the <Host> element to point there.  Your default webapp must
still be named ROOT (case sensitive).

> Further these are almost all dynamic pages, and I may be incorrect, but I've
> read that .war files can only contain static web pages.

You're definitely reading garbage somewhere.  If that were the case, there would be no reason
to have anything other than a standard web server, such as httpd.  A .war file will normally
contain a collection of servlets, JSPs, static pages, configuration files, and any other resources
needed by the webapp.

> These are all in ColdFusion.

How a .war file or webapp was created is also not relevant, once it exists.

> Is my understanding incorrect, and somehow this can connect to Railo to handle
> the database interaction?

I have no idea about Railo, but Mark E did a pretty good job of explaining how to make it

> > What URL did you try to use?

That's not a complete URL, since you're missing the scheme (usually http).  Assuming you are
using http (not https), you'll be sending a request for the default webapp's welcome page
to port 80 at whatever IP address the client machine evaluates as.
Verify that the client can resolve into the IP address you expect.
Since you have nothing after the domain name, you must have a ROOT webapp deployed in order
to get a response.

> > What port is specified in server.xml?

> 80 -- localhost:80 works, localhost:8080 doesn't.

Ok, that's good.

> > Is there a firewall blocking that port?

> There's a hole in the firewall to let page requests through to the on-line server.

> > Register the DNS name for your server with your DNS providers.

> This site is about 17 years old with several million home page hits.  I think it is
> registered.

But it sounds like you're expecting requests to magically appear at the new server when the
old one is still running.  If that's not the case, you need to tell us how they're differentiated.

 - Chuck

To unsubscribe, e-mail:
For additional commands, e-mail:

View raw message