tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Daniel Mikusa <dmik...@gopivotal.com>
Subject Re: Number of logs files and encrypt manager passwd
Date Mon, 15 Jul 2013 14:31:27 GMT
On Jul 15, 2013, at 10:04 AM, Spencer Lamont R CONTR USSTRATCOM/J646 <lamont.r.spencer.ctr@stratcom.mil>
wrote:

> To all:
>
>   I am looking for the file in which to set the number of logs to keep.

You can configure logging in "conf/logging.properties", however the default configuration
does not offer a way to do what you are asking.  It simply creates a new log file every day.
 You would need to manually clean them up with a cron job or scheduled task.

Alternatively, you could enable Log4j which automatically cleans up old files.

  https://tomcat.apache.org/tomcat-7.0-doc/logging.html#Using_Log4j

> Also I tried to encrypt the manager password to the manager web page. I did the steps
with the realm and users file, but when I went to access the page it would not work. When
I put the unencrypted passwd back it works.

You're going to need to provide more information here.  Start by including this…

1.) What version of Tomcat are you running?  Include the whole number, 6.0.x or 7.0.x.

2.) How do you have your realm and user's configured?  Please include the XML configuration,
minus comments and any sensitive information.

3.) Are you trying to use encryption or hashing?

Dan