tomcat-users mailing list archives

From André Warnier ...@ice-sa.com>
Subject Re: Capture request/response bandwidth of webapp deployed in Tomcat
Date Wed, 17 Jul 2013 12:19:32 GMT
Shariq wrote:
> Hi,
>
> My requirement is to measure the request and response bandwidth of a webapp
> that's deployed in Tomcat. Basically capture each request and response
> bandwidth and store the statistics and do analytics on that data overtime.

Bandwith (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bandwidth_%28computing%29)
refers to a number of bits/second transmitted over a communications channel.

This is typically something better captured by network equipment (analysers, routers,
switches), and it doesn't really make much sense on an application base.

Apart from that, the AccesLogValve can already tell you, on a URL base, how much total
time was needed to fulfill the request, and how many bytes (x 8 bits) were sent as a
response. (You can probably also get the number of bytes of the request).

But Tomcat is not the only element which intervenes here, and the real bandwidth can also

be limited by what the client (and everything in-between) can absorb.

Maybe before we go any further into this, you would like to make more clear what exactly
you are trying to measure, and for which purpose ?