tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Tomcat 8 Resources - webAppMount
Date Tue, 16 Jul 2013 06:45:31 GMT
On 15/07/2013 23:08, Leo Donahue - RDSA IT wrote:
> Is this saying that one can mount a directory under WEB-INF with a
> custom path?

You could but I haven't tested it so I'm not sure what the consequences
would. The features were written with the following scenario in mind.

/var
  /shared
  /tomcat
    /webapps
      /app1
        /WEB-INF
      /app2
        /WEB-INF

The idea is that you can mount /var/shared at some arbitrary (and
potentially different for each webapp) path inside the webapps.

You can also mount individual files and JARs of files.

> One of my biggest struggles with JSF page navigation is placing
> resources under WEB-INF and then figuring out how to navigate from a
> page that was forwarded to WEB-INF and that page under WEB-INF also
> needs to forward to another page in WEB-INF.
>
> The JSF navigation is usually one page behind the current page unless
> you explicitly redirect, which you can't do if the resource is in
> WEB-INF, so I end up with a 404 trying to forward from page1 in
> WEB-INF to page2 in WEB-INF.  The only solution I see is exposing the
> last page in the root of the context or ditch the JSF framework and

I don't know JSF well enough to really help but I would expect a forward
relative to the context root to work i.e. /WEB-INF/jsps/my.jsp

> This new feature sounds like it would help, but wouldn't it defeat
> the purpose of placing resources in WEB-INF?

The feature is aimed at mounting external content at a path within the
web application. My fear is mounting an internal path could lead to
infinite loops and the like but I haven't reviewed the code or tested
anything to see how valid that fear is.

Mark