tomcat-users mailing list archives

From André Warnier ...@ice-sa.com>
Subject Re: JSP in Static Resources
Date Sat, 13 Jul 2013 14:29:39 GMT
Alireza Fattahi wrote:
> Hi,
>
> My situation is this:
> The site which i work should work in RTL and LTR modes ( I am using YAML for layout)
>
> The site.css should have this for LTR:
>
> @import url(../yaml/navigation/hlist.css);
> @import url(../yaml/forms/gray-theme.css);
> @import url(../yaml/screen/typography.css);
> @import url(../yaml/screen/screen-FULLPAGE-layout.css);
>
> for RTL it must have
>
> @import url(../../yaml/add-ons/rtl-support/core/base-rtl.css);
> @import url(../../yaml/add-ons/rtl-support/navigation/hlist-rtl.css);
> @import url(../../yaml/add-ons/rtl-support/forms/gray-theme-rtl.css);
>

> So I want to path a parameter to CSS and do some thing like this:
>
> http://www.mysite.com/site.css?direction=rtl
>
> and in the CSS
> @import url(../../yaml/add-ons/rtl-support/core/base-<%=request.getParameter("direction")%>.css);
>

> I donot want to to use if parameters in the jsp and do some thing like this:
> if request.getParameter("direction")="RTL"
> {
> <link href="styles/site-rtl.css" rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" />
>
> }
> else{
> <link href="styles/site-ltr.css" rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" />
>
> }

I agree that the above does not look very elegant.

I don't really know JSP syntax, but can't you do something like

<link href="styles/site-<% request.getParameter("direction") %>.css"  rel="stylesheet"

type="text/css" />

I am looking at this from a naive point of view, and thinking about the poor guys who are

going to have to debug one of these pages in 12 month's time, and who'll have to figure
out that the .css stylesheets on that site are not, as usual, plain CSS files usable
everywhere, but have to be processed like JSP files.
(Also, if you ever have to give this to a graphic guy, he may have some trouble working
with this).
I guess that there is nothing wrong in the /principle/ of having a CSS file being compiled

into a servlet generating a CSS document, but somehow it does not seem the most
straightforward thing to do.

> The problem is that, although you set the mime type of css to text/css in web.xml. it
does not take effect.
> I just find a bad work around which you must put <%@page contentType="text/css" %>in
top of all css files

> ~Regards,