tomcat-users mailing list archives

From André Warnier ...@ice-sa.com>
Subject Re: JSP in Static Resources
Date Sat, 13 Jul 2013 09:51:16 GMT
Alireza Fattahi wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I want to add some jsp code in to my site.css.

Maybe it is just me, but that does not seem to make any sense.
Usually, it would be the other way around.
Can you explain why you want to do this ?

The idea of JSP is to have Java code which in the end produces a HTML page which is sent
to the browser.  The JSP is compiled into a servlet, which is executed when the browser
"calls" that JSP page. The servlet produces HTML, which is sent the browser.
The HTML page may contain links to CSS stylesheets, Javascript libraries etc.
The browser retrieves these directly, as static objects, when it finds a link in the HTML.
A CSS stylesheet is meant to provide instructions to the browser, about how to /render/
(display nicely) the final product, which is the HTML page (produced by the JSP/servlet).
I cannot really imagine a scenario in which having Java code in there would make any
sense.  At the very least, that would make the later maintenance of that application
hopelessly confusing.