tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Christopher Schultz <ch...@christopherschultz.net>
Subject Re: Enabling protocol="org.apache.coyote.http11.Http11NioProtocol" causes tomcat 6.0.36 to load web page elements
Date Fri, 12 Jul 2013 19:27:30 GMT

Jerry,

On 7/12/13 2:16 PM, Jerry Lampi wrote:
> When we switched from tomcat 6.0.35 to 6.0.36, the initial load of
> our sign on page became extremely slow.  In 6.0.35, it would load
> in about 2 seconds; in 6.0.36, it loads in about 60 seconds.

Can you be more specific? Is it the "sign-in page" resource that takes
60-seconds to load, or do you mean the sign-in page plus all of its
associated resources (graphics, css, applets, etc.)?

> Our environment is an IBM mainframe running z/OS.  Tomcat runs
> under USS (Unix System Services).  The JVM version is java version
> "1.6.0" Java(TM) SE Runtime Environment (build
> pmz3160sr13-20130207_01(SR13)).
>
> When we remove the
> protocol="org.apache.coyote.http11.Http11NioProtocol" from the
> server.xml, the page loads in about 2 seconds -- the same a tomcat
> version 6.0.35.

Is this over SSL or not?

Does every page-load take 60-seconds or only the first time? What
about other pages?

> So I have narrowed this down to one configuration change.  We need
> to have NIO enabled, as we use Netty to do some of our IO;
> therefore, leaving the option disabled is not possible for us.
>
> I ran Wireshark against 6.0.35 and 6.0.36 with NIO enabled hoping
> to see a large discrepancy in the number of packets sent, but the
> packet counts were very similar.
>
> I ran Fiddler and did see that files over 50KB in size were the
> slow ones; oddly, jar files (we have a swing applet on our sign on
> page) that were much larger than the slower .gif and .js files,
> were served very quickly.

Are you using compression of any kind? Do you have sendFile enabled?

- -chris