tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Daniel Mikusa <dmik...@gopivotal.com>
Subject Re: Http Request/Response logging in embedded tomcat
Date Tue, 09 Jul 2013 13:36:18 GMT
On Jul 9, 2013, at 8:42 AM, Supun Malinga <awsmalinga@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi guys,
>
> I have a requirement to monitor http request/response logs. We have a
> embedded Tomcat 7. Could you please point out the options available to do
> this?.

How about the ExtendedAccessLogValve or RequestDumperFilter?

https://tomcat.apache.org/tomcat-7.0-doc/config/valve.html#Extended_Access_Log_Valve
https://tomcat.apache.org/tomcat-7.0-doc/config/filter.html#Request_Dumper_Filter

You could also write a custom Valve or Filter if you have very specific needs.

> I'm already aware of the Access Log Valve [1]. But it can only log separate
> request headers and query params of the request body..
> Would like to know if there is any better approach..

Better is subjective.  It's been my experience that the AccessLogValve is usually sufficient.

What specifically are you trying to log?

Dan