tomcat-users mailing list archives

From kharp...@oreillyauto.com
Subject Evictor Setting Suggestions
Date Mon, 24 Jun 2013 14:32:31 GMT

Hey all,

I have an application that currently uses a JNDI database resource with the
settings maxActive=10 and maxIdle=1.  Does anyone know how frequently
objects in the pool are checked to determine if they're idle and over the
maxIdle limit?  Or are they simply removed when they switch to idle and the
count of them is greater than maxIdle?

Based on my observations, my application is spiking up, generating lots of
connection threads in the pool to handle the load, and those are being
destroyed rather than reused moments later because my maxIdle is so low.  I
know I could change the maxIdle, but I'd prefer to use the eviction
settings instead.  Unfortunately, I don't have a good starting point for
timeBetweenEvictionRunsMillis.  Is 5 seconds (5000) reasonable?  Or is that
too frequent/not frequent enough?

Thanks,
Kyle Harper

 (sorry for confidential notice below, added by mail server)

This communication and any attachments are confidential, protected by Communications Privacy
Act 18 USCS  2510, solely for the use of the intended recipient, and may contain legally
privileged material. If you are not the intended recipient, please return or destroy it immediately.
Thank you.