tomcat-users mailing list archives

Subject Re: Best practices for shared classloader use?
Date Tue, 04 Jun 2013 16:25:12 GMT
Hi Don!

Usually each Webapp has its own classloader thus two webapps can have different versions of
the same class. Classloaders are chained so if a class is not found search continues in the
next classloader. Shared just means one classloader is used by different webapps thus you
may run into trouble if each webapp requires a different class version (changed method signature)
as you can not predict which version you get. As long you can align the shared libs across
all webapps this is not an issue. I do not see your static field problem, though?
Share functionality like using the same jars? If all use the same version you can push it
to the shared imho.

Jens

Sent from my iPhone

On 04.06.2013, at 18:03, Don Asper <Don.Asper@sas.com> wrote:

> Sorry, I was not clear in my first post.  I want to load the jars containing functionality
that is common to my web apps using the shared classloader.  I anticipate that there can be
problems if different versions of the same class are on the shared classpath.  I also suspect
that any common jars or classes will cause a problem if they contain static fields.  Am I
correct in this?  Are there other problems that typically occur when attempting to share classes?
 What should I watch out for when trying to share functionality between my web apps?  Thanks.