tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Konstantin Kolinko <knst.koli...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [slightly OT] FORM based authentication and utf-8 encoding of credentials
Date Wed, 26 Jun 2013 17:06:07 GMT
2013/6/26 Shanti Suresh <shanti@umich.edu>:
> Hi Chris,
>
> This is such an interesting discussion.  I am not sure what to make of this
> person's comment:
>
> -------------------
> TAXI   2012-10-09 09:03:59 PDT
>
> Wow, no fix since 8 years...
>
> And this is a real bug: If the HTTP header says the file is encoded in
> ISO-8859-1 the common way to override this with HTML is:

> (...)

That person is plainly wrong.
You must not use different values in "Content-Type" HTTP header and in
"Content-Type" META tag.

1. The HTML spec explicitly says that the HTTP header takes priority.
http://www.w3.org/TR/html401/charset.html#h-5.2.2

2. Actually different browsers behave differently. Some may fall back
to autodetection.
(You may guess what browsers do not follow the specification).