tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Caldarale, Charles R" <Chuck.Caldar...@unisys.com>
Subject RE: Local VisualVM connection to Tomcat
Date Thu, 27 Jun 2013 20:56:20 GMT
> From: honyk [mailto:j.tosovsky@email.cz]
> Subject: Local VisualVM connection to Tomcat

> It is not needed if you are going to monitor it locally, using the
> same user that Tomcat runs with.

The key part of the above is "same user".

> But there is no further description for that simpler (local) method. If it
> is obvious, sorry, but I am lost here ;-)

Usually, all you have to do is start jvisualvm.exe, and it will automatically find the all
the Java processes currently running and show them in the left pane.  Unfortunately, on Windows,
this doesn't always work when the one you're interested in is a service, even when that service
is running under the same account as jvisualvm.  Whether or not it works seems to depend on
the Windows version, applied patches, how much it's locked down, and who knows what else -
another Microsoft mystery.  If you can run Tomcat from the startup.bat script, using VisualVM
should be fine, and it may work with Tomcat as a service.

You do need to install the JConsole add-ins for VisualVM, or just use JConsole instead (all
of the above comments relating to Windows service issues still apply).

 - Chuck