tomcat-users mailing list archives

From <Jeff_Shanho...@McAfee.com>
Subject Precompiled tag compatibility issue between 5.5 and 7.0
Date Mon, 17 Jun 2013 22:08:25 GMT
We have precompiled tags which were compiled under 5.5.35 and don't work under 7.0.34. From
my investigation, it appears it's due to an interface change in JspSourceDependent. The return
type of getDependants() changed. For us the solution isn't as simple as recompiling for two
reasons: we have shipping products which plug into our tomcat based platform and some such
products target multiple versions of our platform, some of which are 5.5 based and some are
7.0 based.

Is this a bug? Shouldn't there be backward compatibility for precompiled tags? Is there anything
that can be done to get such existing tags working? I'm looking for any guidance on how to
move forward in addressing this issue.

Here is an example tag that exhibits the problem:

<%@taglib prefix="c" uri="http://java.sun.com/jstl/core_rt" %>
<%@tag dynamic-attributes="dynamicAttributes" %>
<%@attribute name="id" required="true" rtexprvalue="true" %>

    <c:forEach var="attribute" items="${dynamicAttributes}">
    </c:forEach>

When referenced in a precompiled jsp like this...

                <sample:javafree id="javafree.tag" randomkey="randomvalue"
                                 anotherkey="anothervalue" />

...and all compiled against 7.0 but used in 7.0 (or 5.5/5.5), the resulting html looks like
this:

    </tbody></table>

However when compiled against 5.5 and used in 7.0, the resulting html looks like this: