tomcat-users mailing list archives

From André Warnier ...@ice-sa.com>
Subject Re: Memory limits for children processes when running Tomcat as service?
Date Wed, 26 Jun 2013 19:59:35 GMT
honyk wrote:
> Dear All,
>
> I have a JSF2.0 app that executes (via ProcessBuilder) an external script.
> This script opens PPTX via PowerPoint ActiveX object, manipulate it and
> save. It runs on Windows Server 2008 R2 64-bit, 4GB RAM, JDK 7.
>
> When tomcat 7 is launched using startup.bat (with original settings), it
> works fine.
>
> When tomcat runs as a service, opening the PPTX in the PowerPoint fails
> because of Out Of Memory error regardless Xmx settings (tomcat7w.exe).

Note that the Xmx setting is probably irrelevant here. It determines how much memory the
JVM (which runs Tomcat) will allocate for its Heap (which it uses to store Java object
instances and data).
But the PPT process which you start will not use that memory area, it will use its own
totally separate memory allocation.