tomcat-users mailing list archives

From André Warnier ...@ice-sa.com>
Subject Re: [slightly OT] FORM based authentication and utf-8 encoding of credentials
Date Wed, 26 Jun 2013 12:01:26 GMT
Jan Vávra wrote:
> Hello,

>> The browser is not sending that correctly. The password is UTF-8 encoded
>> but the Content-Type fails to specify the character set used. It it did,
>> Tomcat would treat the password as UTF-8.
>>
>> This is a common failing of browsers and is covered in the FAQ. [1]
>  Well I have tried IE, Firefox, Chrome. None of them is appending
> charset in Content-Type.
>  I have manually modified the request header to:
> and Tomcat gives me the letters in the correct form. Ok, good to know.

>> Authentication is tricky because the processing happens before any user
>> code runs. The best / only option is to set the characterEncoding
>> attribute for the Authenticator [2] to UTF-8 and hope that the browsers
>> are consistent in their failing to follow the specification and use
>> whatever encoding the page is encoded with.
>>
>> HTH,
>>
>> Mark
>>

>> [1] http://wiki.apache.org/tomcat/FAQ/CharacterEncoding
>> [2]
>> http://tomcat.apache.org/tomcat-7.0-doc/config/valve.html#Form_Authenticator_Valve/Attributes

> As you have referred in [2] I have added to my app's context xml
> <Valve className="org.apache.catalina.authenticator.FormAuthenticator"
> characterEncoding="utf-8"/>
> and Czech letters are in the correct form. This is a solution.
>
> Thanks for an advice.

By the way, referring to this basic failing of browsers : this is something that is
clearly contrary to the specs, yet since years all major browsers have consistently
ignored this issue.
This failure of adding the character set/encoding to HTTP POST's is causing problems in
multi-lingual web applications, and by itself forcing multiple workarounds which
themselves are per force inconsistent.
Does anyone have an idea why browsers keep on ignoring this issue, version after version ?

(I would imagine that Apache httpd and Tomcat devs must have regular contacts with
whomever develop browsers, so did anyone ever ask ?)