tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Tobias Gierke <tobias.gie...@voipfuture.com>
Subject Re: Possible to expose a Tomcat Realm instance through JNDI ?
Date Wed, 12 Jun 2013 06:12:51 GMT
Hi Oliver,
> I think I now understand your issue. I was faced with a similar problem and could not
figure out how to get the roles of an authenticated user through the servlet API.

> It seems to only allow the question 'request.isUserInRole(role)'. But does not seem to
provide a way to get a list of roles that the user is in.

> I used a kludge whereby I defined the valid roles in a context init parameter (bad duplication
of effort). Then used 'request.isUserInRole(role)'. I did not think to cast the 'request.getUserPrincipal()'
return value.

> Please post if your methodology works.
>
> Oliver

I ended up using WebserviceContext#getUserPrincipal() and downcasting it
to org.apache.catalina.User ; should probably also work with the plain
HttpServletRequest since WebserviceContext is just a wrapper.

Cheers,
Tobias