tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Tobias Gierke <tobias.gie...@voipfuture.com>
Subject Re: Possible to expose a Tomcat Realm instance through JNDI ?
Date Tue, 11 Jun 2013 16:07:44 GMT
Hi Oliver,
> I don't think there is a HTTP Basic authentication realm. The authentication type is
declared in the <auth-method> of your web.xml and can be used in conjunction with a
number of different realm implementations.

> Exactly what do you mean by re-use? Does this mean you are doing authentication from
within your web app?
My application is exposing a SOAP service (through Spring-WS servlet)
for which I want to do method-level access control. Since the service
endpoint already uses container-based HTTP Basic authentication, I'd
like to reuse the realm implementation (and configuration, obviously) in
my own code to get hold of the user's roles.

I just found HttpServletRequest#getUserPrincipal() , maybe I can just
downcast the result to org.apache.catalina.realm.GenericPrincipal and
invoke getRoles() on this... ugly, but well... ;)

Cheers,
Tobi

> Oliver

Gierke