tomcat-users mailing list archives

From André Warnier ...@ice-sa.com>
Subject Re: http request (no only session) replication in cluster
Date Tue, 11 Jun 2013 15:32:58 GMT
Christopher Schultz wrote:

> Ja,
>
> On 6/11/13 9:54 AM, Ja kub wrote:
>> What can be done to guarantee failover in below scenario:
>>
>> 2 tomcats behind cisco loadbalancer 1 http request can last very
>> long about 50 seconds - response from webservice can take so long
>> load is 200 requests per second I must response in max 4 seconds
>> more than backing webservice
>>
>> is there something like http request replication ?
>>
>> 50 s * 200 req/s = 10.000 pending requests
>>
>> if one tomcat is eg killed, can in any way other tomcat serve his
>> requests ?
>>
>> is there any out of the box solution, eg similar to session
>> replication ?
>
> The best way to do this is to configure your load balancer to buffer
> disconnect.
>
> If you can't buffer the response, then it is entirely inappropriate to
> re-process a request: instead, you should let the failure propagate
> all the way back to the client and let them decide what to do.
>
>> is it possible to save socket to database, or send it via network?
>
> No. I think you are confused about what a socket is.

Is that just me, or does this look like a *massive* imbalance between the load, and the
resources dedicated to serve that load ?
I somehow have trouble to envision any system working in any stable way, when right from
the start it is assumed to have 10,000 requests simultaneously being in various stages of

processing. Unless one would have some Google-like server farms behind the thing anyway.