tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Rainer Jung <rainer.j...@kippdata.de>
Subject Re: How to get SSL connection information from Apache HTTPD over AJP?
Date Thu, 06 Jun 2013 07:20:50 GMT
On 06.06.2013 07:23, Omari Stephens wrote:
> Howdy, y'all
>
> I'm working on porting a pure java CGI to a servlet.  I'm using Tomcat
> 6 behind Apache HTTPD 2.2.
>
> At this point, I have everything talking to each other fine.  When I
> hit the right URL on httpd, my servlet gets run.  yay.
>
> My question: incoming connections to httpd are over SSL.  For the CGI,
> apache sets user-identifying information in the environment, so that I
> can read a particular environment variable and uniquely identify the
> user making the request.
>
> So far, I can't figure out how to uniquely identify the user from the
> Tomcat side.  All of the obvious methods (like #getRemoteUser()) from
> HttpServletRequest return null.  I see "JkEnvVar" at
> http://tomcat.apache.org/connectors-doc/webserver_howto/apache.html,
> but either that only copies variables from Apache's environment
> (rather than ones that it sets for CGI), or I'm not using it
> correctly.
>
> Lastly, I'm not hitting Tomcat SSL directly because I depend on a
> module that only exists for Apache HTTPD.

Set tomcatAuthentication="false" in your ajp connector.

See tomcatAuthentication on page
http://tomcat.apache.org/tomcat-7.0-doc/config/ajp.html.

Setting it to "false" means that Tomcat will not authenticate the user
but instead fully trust the remoteUser send by Apache. default is "true".

Note that this is not really related to the subject of your mail (SSL
connection information).

Regards,

Rainer