tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Lentes, Bernd" <bernd.len...@helmholtz-muenchen.de>
Subject binary distribution - how to upgrade ?
Date Thu, 20 Jun 2013 16:45:35 GMT
Hi,

i'm fairly new to tomcat. We have a SLES 10 SP4 64bit host, running Tomcat 5.5, which was
provided as a rpm from the distributor.
Our developers need now a more current version, 6 or prefered 7.
I didn't find rpm's for these versions for my OS. So i have to install the binary version
from the tomcat web page.

I read that patches concerning security vulnerabilities are not provided for the binary version.
My question: what do i have to do if i read that version x.x has a security vulnerability
which is closed by version x.y ?
Just install the new version over the old one ? Uninstalling the old one before ? What is
about my webapps ? Are they gone with the installation of the new version ?

Thanks in advance.

Bernd
--
Bernd Lentes

Systemadministration
Institut für Entwicklungsgenetik
Gebäude 35.34 - Raum 208
HelmholtzZentrum münchen
bernd.lentes@helmholtz-muenchen.de
phone: +49 89 3187 1241
fax:   +49 89 3187 2294
http://www.helmholtz-muenchen.de/idg

Wer nichts verdient außer Geld verdient nichts außer Geld

Helmholtz Zentrum München
Deutsches Forschungszentrum für Gesundheit und Umwelt (GmbH)
Ingolstädter Landstr. 1
85764 Neuherberg
www.helmholtz-muenchen.de
Aufsichtsratsvorsitzende: MinDir´in Bärbel Brumme-Bothe
Geschäftsführer: Prof. Dr. Günther Wess Dr. Nikolaus Blum Dr. Alfons Enhsen
USt-IdNr: DE 129521671