tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Shanti Suresh <sha...@umich.edu>
Subject Re: Monitoring Tomcat - Delta Values
Date Mon, 06 May 2013 19:38:52 GMT
Greetings Leon et al,

On Fri, May 3, 2013 at 6:36 PM, Leon Rosenberg <rosenberg.leon@gmail.com>wrote:

> Hello Shanti,
>

> yes it does:
> https://confluence.opensource.anotheria.net/display/MSK/MoSKito+Central
>
> https://confluence.opensource.anotheria.net/display/MSK/HowTo+Run+moskito-central+in+embedded+mode
>

> Thank you!

> every second is maybe a little overkill, but possible. What amount of
> traffic does your application serve, that you need so detailed data

Yes, per minute is okay for the most part.  I am used to 15second metrics
from some profiling tools I have at an earlier job.

My homegrown stuff gathers metrics every minute.  Many times I need to
co-relate certain events and observe what happened at a certain time on a
certain day in the past.  For e.g., Nagios might complain that it couldn't
talk to Tomcat.  Or that the load on the system was high.  If this happened
over the weekend or at night, and I am not alerted, I would like to go back
and check how the JVM and O.S.-related metrics stacked up; especially the
usual suspects.

Thanks!

                           -Shanti