tomcat-users mailing list archives

Site index · List index
Message view « Date » · « Thread »
Top « Date » · « Thread »
From B T <bt1...@live.com>
Subject RE: 6.0.16 vs 6.0.37 puzzle
Date Fri, 24 May 2013 19:04:30 GMT

 
> Date: Fri, 24 May 2013 09:32:46 -0700
> From: its_toasted@yahoo.com
> To: users@tomcat.apache.org
> Subject: Re: 6.0.16 vs 6.0.37 puzzle
> 
> On 5/24/2013 9:04 AM, Christopher Schultz wrote:
> > -----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
> > Hash: SHA256
> >
> > BT,
> >
> > On 5/24/13 11:09 AM, B T wrote:
> >> I was wondering if anyone here might have some insight in
> >> different behaviors between 6.0.16 and 6.0.37.
> >>
> >> I've been using version 6.0.16 (With CentOS 5) for quite some time
> >> - and it has worked very well. I was in the process of testing a
> >> new configuration and was exploring the possibility of upgrading to
> >> the latest 6.0.37 on CentOS 6.3.
> >>
> >> After installing 6.0.37 (on CentOS 6.3), all of my .jsp pages now
> >> render as blank (.html still get served correctly). I then removed
> >> 6.0.37 and installed the old 6.0.16 (on the same CentOS 6.3 box)
> >> and things work well.
> >>
> >> To explain the "blank" comment further, I open a browser, and I
> >> can pull up a simple .html page just fine. Once I go to a simple
> >> .jsp page, the entire browser screen is blank. The .java and the
> >> .class do get generated correctly in the working directory.
> >>
> >> Also, to complicate things even further, 6.0.37 *works* with my
> >> codebase on my Windows 7 PC.
> >>
> >> Does anyone have any insight into what could be so different
> >> between the Linux 6.0.16 Tomcat release and its 6.0.37 couterparts
> >> ?
> >
> > So:
> > 1. Tomcat 6.0.37 + Linux = JSPs produce no output
> > 2. Tomcat 6.0.37 + Windows = works just fine
> > ?
> >
> > That's odd. I have 6.0.36 running in production with no issues;
> > haven't moved-up to 6.0.37 just yet.
> >
> > Can you strip-away as much as possible from your project while still
> > getting it to behave in this weird way, then post some code -- or
> > better yet -- a WAR file with source?
> >
> > - -chris
> 
> Yep, I'm running 6.0.37 on all production boxes (CentOS 5.9 and CentOS 
> 6.4) and the latest JRE 6 with no issues.
> 
> . . . . just my two cents
> /mde/
> 
> 
> ---------------------------------------------------------------------
> To unsubscribe, e-mail: users-unsubscribe@tomcat.apache.org
> For additional commands, e-mail: users-help@tomcat.apache.org
> 
Thanks for your guys' feedback ... I had removed 6.0.37 and installed 6.0.16. I then put back
6.0.37 (in a different directory) and tried it again and it somehow magically worked with
6.0.37 (after it had already worked on 6.0.16). So now it works on both.  I'm not really sure
what it was, and even though it works now, I still do not have a warm feeling about this.
I think I may just revert to 6.0.16 and continue to use that. Perhaps when I get more time,
I can pick the code apart to figure out exactly what was not working right. I was hoping to
do that when considering a migration to Tomcat 7 though, not for a minor version change like
this. I use lots of JSTL (WEB-INF\lib\jstl.jar and standard.jar) and postgresql (\lib\postgresql.jar)
for the db - perhaps 6.0.37 did not like something there. btw: Mark, the View Source showed
8 blank lines when it didn't work - and that's it - no other errors in any of the logs either.
Nothing in the Browser error console. Thanks again -BT         		 	   		  
Mime
  • Unnamed multipart/alternative (inline, None, 0 bytes)
View raw message